Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a few thought about Oil Spill Disaster

After I came to United States, I listen to radio every night to improve my listening skill, though my understanding is always limited by my poor Enlgish level. By listening to radio, I knew the news about oil spill thing for a while.

The fact that the problem is still not fixed and the situation going worse and worse really surprised me. Since I have seen too many Hollywood movies, I have thought that American government could deal with everything just as it has been portrayed in many Hollywood movies. Whatever disasters, including hurricane, flood, volcanic eruption, and even invasion from space, could be handled perfectly by American government or by American Heroes in those movies. However now, I need to face the reality that American government still has no perfect solution about how to control the oil spill after trying all kinds of methods, and that the Hero who can slove this problem still does not appear. The reality is really a hit at me, maybe at many people all over the world including American citizens. American mass now does not expect the government to save the whole world, but only to save the Gulf of Mexico, and give the balance back to this area where many creatures are living. Will the problem be fixed in a few weeks? Nobody including Obama can make sure that. We have to admit that America government is not omnipotent. This disaster provided a good lecture to both American government and American citizens.

I also thought that if this disaster happed in China, what would the reaction of Chinese government and Chinese people be? China media might report how brave the government was, how the government worried about people living in coast line, or how citizens were grateful to the government, and nobody would blame this problem on Chinese government, because comments concerning negative image of government would not be allowed to report by media which are also controlled by the Chinese government. Unlike American people, Chinese people always forgive their government so easily, because we never have expected government to do much for us. As a Chinese, I could say that Americans really have been spoiled by democracy.

3 comments:

  1. i hope i can listen to the radio either, however, i actually didn't know about it before we had dicussion today. i hope maybe a hero could fix this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear, you are always hardworking! I wish all of your dream will come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazinggggggg!!
    i realy learned alott
    keep writting ^^

    ReplyDelete